Toxic Plants for Pets

Do you know which plants in your yard or garden might be toxic to you pet? If your pet comes into contact with one of these, they may need a trip to the veterinarian’s office.

Azalea. Eating leaves can cause drooling and stomach problems. Get to a vet to avoid coma, possibly leading to death.
Buttercup. Toxic to cats, cows, dogs and horses, the flower causes drooling and stomach problems and, in rare cases, paralysis.
Chive. This, along with onion, garlic and leek, is toxic, especially to cats and Akita and Shiba Inu dogs. May take several days for symptoms to appear, including abdominal pain, elevated heart rate, weakness and increased respiratory rate.
Daffodil. Flowers contain an alkaloid which induces vomiting. Ingesting a bulb causes stomach, heart and respiratory issues.
Gladiola. Drooling, lethargy and stomach upset possible when ingested.
Hydrangea. Can cause lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea when eaten.
Lilies. Some, like the peace, Peruvian and calla lily, just irritate mouth, tongue and esophagus when eaten. Others, like day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese show varieties, cause kidney failure in cats.
Morning Glory. Stomach upset, anemia, even liver failure can occur in cats and dogs depending on how much is eaten.
Poppy. Drooling, skin irritation, slowed heart rate and pupil dilation can happen if cats and dogs get too close.
Tulip. Bulbs, more toxic than flowers and leaves, cause stomach upset.

Speak Your Mind

*